Monday, February 20, 2012

Comfort food done easy! Chicken & Dumplings



Playing catch up for too many weeks of being the lone chef at the Madeira's! With Presidents' Day at hand, it was a perfect day for Seth to cook. He'd mentioned wanting to grill steaks but that requires advanced prep (if you want to make it really good!) with marinading, etc. and of course I didn't plan ahead. :( So I searched my favorite recipe site, www.food.com for recipes I thought he'd be willing to make on the fly. I came across recipe #50495 "Caroline's Quick Chicken and Dumplings". Ideal for a teenaged boy with simple, quick prep and few ingredients, none eliciting the standard "Ewww" response I'd get from 95% of the recipes I'D select! Even Pappy's delicious quesadilla recipe (soon to come) will require editing for my boys to eat them! Seems peppers & onions will only be consumed in the form of salsa (NOT chunky). So, Caroline's made the cut with not a single veggie.
Other than the fact that the biscuit pieces were a bit large and the chicken cut too small, it was a success. Seth saved the pot from boiling over as we were distracted by cutting biscuits. He's becoming quite adept at the different stove settings, at measuring, & following directions- which has never been one of Seth's strengths! ;)
We served it with a healthy spinach and strawberry salad to make up for what was lacking in the Chicken and Dumplings recipe.

No comments:

Post a Comment